What is required for any leader to be successful is to become
balance in everything they do. I am not saying be a master of all traits but at
least some. You cant be so focused on one element of being a leader. Leaders
who I follow (mentors) always tell me to read up on this, get certified on
that, maintain your physical fitness. I don’t go out there to be the smartest,
strongest, or fastest but to go out there to be the one who understands the
whole entire organization and be able to represent it. One way to maintain this
or be aware is to go through what Brown (2011) discusses as having survey
research and feedback. Which is used as a way to change for changing
organizational relationships. (p. 374) based on my evaluation reports my
biggest asset is my interpersonal skills. Being able to work with others is a special
tool that not too many people possess let alone can learn.
Van Vugt (2006) discussed that everyone is capable of
leading to some degree, but there are clear individual differences in the
propensity to lead. (p. 356) Everybody that I have come in contact with have
different ways of leading let along different attempts on how to lead others
with some being successful and some being not. For me to intervene would
sometimes depend on the one, the individual and two, the situation. However, at
the end of the day I always try to make an attempt to assist in whatever way I
can to develop these leaders under me whether they take my advice and guidance
or not.
Brumm & Drury (2013) stated that “Leaders should also be
good at enabling their followers to follow well. Such enabling has often been
called empowering, which means to enable or create conditions for employees to
share power and gain meaning.” (p.19) This characteristic is something that I
see as lacking today in my organization. Empowering those today is a
characteristic I believe helps a flatter organization become successful. When
you empower those under you it gives them a sense of pride that follows them
throughout their career and gives them a learning point also. When you combine
all these qualities of being intellectual, having interpersonal skills,
empowering those under you and establish that “balance” quality as a leader you
or any leader will become successful.
References:
Brown, D. R. (2011). An Experimental Approach To
Organizational Development (Eighth ed.). Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice
Hall
Brumm, C. A., & Drury, S. (2013). Leadership that
empowers: How strategic planning relates to followership. Engineering
Management Journal, 25(4), 17-32. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/1503771908?accountid=27203
Van Vugt, M. (2006). Evolutionary origins of leadership and
followership. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 10(4), 354-371.
doi:10.1207/s15327957pspr1004_5
No comments:
Post a Comment