A631.3.3.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu_ Feedback and Goals
Feedback and goals for performance is crucial in my career
field because if we as leaders (Officers in the military) do not strive for
better then we will eventually be let go and released from our service or
duties. It is very competitive in today’s Army and staying one step ahead of
everybody is what is needed in order to stay “normal” in our organization and
progressing. Brown (2011) discusses that the combination of both goals and
feedback has a positive effect on performance. (p. 321) The Army is a great
organization in providing their leaders with goals and feedback in order to
produce the best leaders. They give us the resources to state our goals, our
plan to achieve those goals, in addition to feedback from superiors,
subordinates, and peers which gives us a humbling experience (for some) to keep
on striving to do good and improve at the same time.
I think that Brown (2011) discussion on the generational
differences in feedback is true from my experience. Me and my peers always
embrace feedback to ensure we keep each other in check. Cianci,
Schaubroeck, & McGill (2010) stated “performance feedback is widely
recognized as being critical to effective performance management, different
people often respond to the same feedback in different ways.” (p. 134) I look
at my parents and when giving feedback for the simplest things they seem to be
defensive as if they did not want to hear to feedback even if was indeed
positive. Even my superiors are defensive to feedback, for some odd reason they
are always in a bad mood when their command climate survey comes out which
reflects their leadership in our organization.
Feedback that I generally give depends on the situation
that I would face. I have learned throughout my years in my organization that
sometimes it is okay to just let people be. I know that is not a leadership
trait but because of the individual I have to pull back. However those I can
come in close contact with and share a relationship with I will approach and
give feedback. MA (2016) discussed that organizations both learn from and
compete with their peers with similar characteristics.(p. 468) I find this to
be true because when I compete with my peers it brings out the best in all of
us to perform and make our organization as a whole better.
Me personally, having goals and receiving feedback has
put me in the position I am in today. As I stated earlier I always listened to
my feedback from others especially when it pertains to my goals that I want to
accomplish. It has led to me having a crazy work ethic and allowing my
performance to outshine those that I compete with (even if it is all friendly
competition) I like being on the top of the ranking system when it comes to
myself and my peers. Goomas, & Ludwig(2009) stated “For goals
to work effectively, they must describe the rate or quality of the behavior
requested, describe when those behaviors are to be done, and describe the
consequences contingent on attaining the goal.” (p. 2428)
My implications of my reflection are that having goals
and feedback in placed for anything you do will ultimately benefit you, your
organization, and on the personal side our family. I would definitely use this
strategy or at least influence it on my subordinates, peers, and supervisors
knowing a little bit more about this concept that I originally did.
References:
Brown, Donald (2011). An Experiential Approach to
Organization Development (8th Ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice
Hall.
Cianci, A. M., Schaubroeck, J. M., & McGill, G. A.
(2010). Achievement goals, feedback, and task performance. Human
Performance, 23(2), 131-154. doi:10.1080/08959281003621687
Goomas, D. T., & Ludwig, T. D. (2009). Standardized
goals and performance feedback aggregated beyond the work unit: Optimizing the
use of engineered labor standards and electronic performance monitoring.
Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 39(10), 2425-2437.
doi:10.1111/j.1559-1816.2009.00532.x
MA, L. (2016). performance feedback, government goal‐setting and
aspiration level adaptation: Evidence from chinese provinces. Public
Administration, 94(2), 452-471. doi:10.1111/padm.12225
No comments:
Post a Comment