Sunday, 11 December 2016

A631.8.4.RB - Reflective Analysis



 A631.8.4.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu_ Reflective Analysis

I have taken personality/leadership surveys similar to the MBTI. All to me, seem quite accurate on how I deal with others, see myself, and apply decision making skills in my everyday life. The MBTI can serve as guide to me as a self-awareness tool for the most part. Before I was in a leadership role capacity it never dawned on me that making decisions reflects in some special way your personality and what you are capable of. Everyone has an authentic way of applying their leadership styles. Cottrill, Denise Lopez &Hoffman (2014) discussed that authentic leaders possess internal capacities and moral reasoning. This is to include self-awareness, perspective-taking, and open genuine communication abilities. (p. 278)

I have tendencies to let emotions take over when it comes to decision making. I have had times use this as grudges, vendettas, and spite in some of the negative aspects of my decision making process. I don’t like doing it, but it’s just a natural way for me to easily come up with decisions. If a soldier was dirt bag, a half effort type of person I don’t hesitate on making disciplinary decisions for him. When I should actually take a step back and try to ensure things are being done to fix the soldier instead of jumping the gun.

Putting together both self-awareness and outside awareness allows me reflect on the type of leader I am more importantly the type of leader I set out to be. I truly believe that a leader should be able to read others most importantly to read themselves. I call it being balanced. Noor Nasir & Tang  (2016) stated that “Leaders  now  widen  and  increase  the  interest  of  their  subordinate  or  take  an  Interest in  an  interaction  with  their  subordinates  instead  of  rely  upon  their  legitimate power  to  persuade  individuals  to  fulfil  their  tasks.” (p.2) having interest in others is what I believe can also set up any leader for success. I know I possess this capability because of my passion for leadership and influencing those that serve with me. More importantly I also apply this concept because in order to be a great leader you need to also rely on yourself and be able to trust and believe in yourself.




References:
Cottrill, K., Denise Lopez, P., & C. Hoffman, C. (2014). How authentic leadership and inclusion benefit organizations. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal, 33(3), 275-292. doi:10.1108/EDI-05-2012-0041

Noor Nasir, K. A., & Tang, S. Y. (2016). Does multiple leadership styles mediated by job satisfaction influence better business performance? perception of MNC employees in malaysia. Paper presented at the , 23 doi:http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/10.1051/shsconf/20162302005

No comments:

Post a Comment